Skip to content

UKCA – what do you need to know?

Chris Chaney May 17, 2023 11:55:34 AM
UKCA – what do you need to know?

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union has brought about many changes for British businesses, including product marking. As the transition period following Brexit came to an end on January 1, 2021, companies should now be thinking about using the new UK conformity assessed (UKCA) marking for goods placed on the market in Great Britain.

After January 1, 2021, there is a year in which products already on the market can legally continue to use CE marking, giving businesses time to adjust to the new requirements up until January 1st, 2022. This grace period is known as the ‘standstill’ period. Here, we look at what you need to know, whether you have a product that needs the new UKCA mark or to keep the CE mark, and why it is essential to act now.

What is required for UKCA?

Products sold on the UK market up until now have required CE marking. Now the UK has left the EU, the CE mark will no longer be accepted as conformity demonstration within UK legislation.

The good news is that the transition is mostly a paperwork exercise. If your existing Technical File is up to date, you will just need some supplementary information with the new UK S.I (Statutory Instruments) references. You will also need to create a new DoC (Declaration of Conformity) referencing the new S.Is.

The last part is to simply affix the new UKCA mark to your product. You can use a sticky label if you wish – you have till 1st January 2023 before it must be permanently attached.

So far it sounds relatively straightforward. However, this is the simplified explanation. At BitBox we recognise that the process is not simple for every company. We can assist with these changes if you require help.


Want to sell in EU?

Assuming you have a CE mark and wish to sell into the EU market, then an EU authorised representative or an EU sales office address will be required. The contact details will need to be on your product if there is enough room, otherwise they should appear in the documentation.

You can have both UKCA and CE mark on your product if you follow the above requirements. That means you will need your Technical File to reference all the new S.Is alongside the EU directives.  Two DoCs will be required, one for CE with the EU directives and one for UKCA with the S.Is. Finally, a GB and an EU authorised representative or sales address will be required in the documentation.

Whether you need just the CE mark or a combination of CE and UKCA, BitBox can help you navigate through the process with your product.

What about Northern Ireland?

Unfortunately, the new UKCA mark cannot be used for the Northern Ireland market. However, products in the Northern Ireland market can either use the CE marking or UK(NI) mark depending on whether an EU or UK conformity assessment body is used. Northern Ireland companies placing goods on the GB market must use the UKCA mark. There are a few extra things to be aware of, therefore if you have any questions, please contact us, or have a look at the government’s website

Why do I need to act now?

It is easy to think you still have another year in which to prepare for the changes with product marking, however this time can soon disappear. Here at BitBox we can assist with your preparation, whether you need guidance or do not know where to start! We have years of experience getting products through various compliance regulations ensuring the success of your product.


Unlock the Secrets to a Profitable OEM Strategy! 

Dive into our FREE PDF guide and discover strategies that can transform your OEM purchasing. From strategic foresight to risk management, get insights that set you apart.

Download Now and Elevate Your OEM Game!